Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I could have started a diploma in advertising at Auckland Institute of Technology one year earlier than I did, but I turned it down, such was the extent of my fear of getting up in front of the class to do group presentations. I had decided I wanted to write ads for a living, but not before embarking on a three year course about everything to do with business and advertising except copywriting. Well, almost everything except, because it was at AIT that I met Jim Falconer, my copywriting tutor. I've heard it said that university is where you go to learn how to think. Jim Falconer's copywriting class opened my eyes to the world and possibilities of language. He kickstarted my creativity. I remember him saying, "it's all in there." He helped unlock my creative potential by showing me great ads, exposing me to great poetry (Robert Frost - The Road Not Taken) and speeches (Marianne Williamson, by Nelson Mandela) and getting me to write ads and do copywriting exercises.

No comments:

Post a Comment