Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Out on the race track there is just one man driving the car, but after the race he will be effusive about all the help he received from his team, the support crew. Last night when I got back on stage after a four week hiatus from comedy it all came down to me on stage, and none of the two people who had given me some vital encouragement going into the gig were there, but I couldn't have done it without them. Going into a gig, on the day I often seem to have a premonition as to whether or not the gig is going to go well or not, or perhaps more to the point, whether or not I'm going to enjoy it. The gig most often goes better than I think it does, but as I am my own harshest critic, it's sometimes easy to forget that. The crowd can be enjoying it more than I am sometimes - you've always got to find ways to avoid comedy becoming just another day at the office. Last night was a very relaxed affair - it always is at Snatch Bar comedy nite - the crowd was small and the venue intimate. I rolled through some material I'm still developing, most of which got laughs. My biggest laughs came from moments of spontaneity as I found the situation bringing out unplanned gems. Magical. Thankyou support crew, I couldn't have done it without you.

1 comment:

  1. You're welcome.
    (I'm claiming that even if it wasn't actually due me, because I'm positive I intend to be one of the supportive voices).

    ReplyDelete