Thursday, April 15, 2010

A couple of years ago I went to Melbourne and fell in love with the place so I decided to move there from New Zealand. I'd recently done my own show in the New Zealand comedy festival, and afterwards I was wondering, "where to from here?" I was young and thought I could move to Melbourne and dominate the comedy scene there. I took a job at the Last Laugh comedy club as a sales rep/hawker. Instead of selling fluffy toys out of a shoulder bag I was selling eight-dollar comedy show tickets out of a black satchel. I must have gone into every shop in the Melbourne CBD with my patter that I had down to a tea: "Hi I'm from the comedy club and I'm selling eight-dollar comedy show tickets...have you heard of these guys before (show them a card with a bunch of famous comedians on it - none of whom were ever on at our club!)? etc." I had to sell at least 100 tix per week to get a commission, otherwise it was just $15/hour. Most weeks I cracked it. At night I was hitting the pubs that held weekly or fortnightly comedy nights and getting on stage to do my 10-minute act. Sometimes the only people in the crowd were the other comedians on that night, but it was always good fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment